Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your frequently asked questions from Draper’s top HVAC contractors!

At Method Air, our team is always happy to answer any heating and cooling related questions you may have. Here are a few of the most common questions we get from our customers in Draper, UT:

Why is my HVAC noisy?

It’s common for HVAC systems to make some noise when in use. However, if you hear loud or unusual noises like rattling, banging, or hissing coming from your unit, it might mean that there’s a problem with your equipment. Give our HVAC technicians a call for repair services.

What is an AC SEER rating?

A SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating predicts your central AC, heat pump, or mini-split AC unit's energy input and output. It is calculated by taking the total cooling output and dividing it by the total energy input of an AC unit over one year. The higher an AC unit’s SEER rating, the more energy-efficient it is. The Department of Energy (DOE) requires a minimum SEER rating of 13 for all AC units manufactured after 2005. Energy Star-labeled AC units also must have a SEER rating of at least 14 and utilize 8% less energy than other AC units.

What does HVAC stand for?

HVAC is an abbreviation for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. HVAC experts use this abbreviation to refer to whole-home heating and cooling systems, which may include one or more of the following:
  • Comfort controls like thermostats and home zoning systems.
  • Air conditioners, furnace, and heat pumps.
  • Indoor air quality systems like air filters, air filtration systems, whole-house humidifiers and dehumidifiers, and UV sanitizers.

What is a furnace AFUE rating?

AFUE is an abbreviation for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. This rating measures the thermal efficiency of a furnace. For instance, a furnace with a 93 AFUE rating means that this furnace will convert 93% of the fuel to heat, with the remaining 7% lost to venting.

Why does my furnace sometimes emit a burning smell?

Over the summer, dust may collect on your furnace. As winter approaches and you turn on your furnace for the first time, the dust will burn and create that characteristic burning smell. The best way to avoid this situation is to schedule a professional cleaning, filter replacement, and maintenance service in the fall. Our HVAC technicians are happy to ensure your unit runs safely and efficiently during winter.

Will my ceiling fan stop my AC from running?

No. Ceiling fans do not lower the temperature of your home. They use electricity to move air around your home so that it feels cooler on your skin. Using a ceiling fan can make your indoor spaces feel cooler, enabling you to adjust your thermostat up by a few degrees and lower your utility bills.

Do you provide emergency repair services?

Yes. Our experts are available for heating and cooling repair 24 hours a day. If you’re experiencing problems with your HVAC system and live in Utah, Salt Lake, or Davis County, contact our team at Method Air. One of our experienced technicians will be along ASAP to help you.
Have more questions or need HVAC service? Give us a call at 801-610-2493!